Robin
Is this construction natural? For example: You are appreciating a drawing with your classmates. Then you talk with your classmate that “the representation of this drawing is vivid”. Is if a common way to express? or people say that "the author used a vivid representation of this drawing" Which one is better and natural? or other ways? Thank you!
4
0
I think that your construction is not natural sounding to an English speaker. I will use the words enclosed in <> to move it closer to what is more common. You are appreciating a drawing with your classmates. Then you talk with your classmate that “the representation this drawing is vivid”. "the author used a vivid representation of this drawing" - I would think that an art critic might say "the artist used vivid motifs in his drawing". You could use 'author' as in 'the author of the artwork', but author is a term more associated with writing. For works of art use the word artist.
Thank you xarmanla. Do you mean that the vivid is used to describe colors? A drawing has an image so there are full of colors in it. Can I use vivid here? If I want to express the figures are like real ones in a drawing and a novel. What word do I use in each of them?
I agree with most of the comment made by #Michael except that I would reserve the word vivid to describe colors. A description might be vivid if I could visualize the scene from the words but a drawing or painting already has an image.
Robin
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese
English, French, Japanese