Wu Ting
How would you explain ‘it pleased God” in the context? Cortés (the conqueror of Mexico) made his men build thirteen ships in the desert and dig a canal to move them to the lake, so he could attack both by land and water: the final assault. He bore his ship straight into a fleet of canoes hurling darts and arrows. “We chased them for three leagues, killing and drowning the enemy, the most extraordinary sight in the whole world,” he told the Queen of Spain, and mentioned how it pleased God to raise up their spirits and weaken those of the enemy. Also the Spaniards had muskets. How would you explain ‘it pleased God” in ‘how it pleased God to raise up t…’? Thanks!
2
0
He is just saying God was on his side.
we say 'if it pleases (our) god' when we expect something dearly. e.g. I'll visit my parents next year if it pleases (my) God. You'll get what u r looking for if it pleases (your)God. (s'il plait ton dieu) In this text it implies how the the spaniards finally triumphed(which was unlikely or doubted), as if it was influenced by a miracle hand. note that its said by the party favored, the losing side may not say that. hope it helps_
Wu Ting