Harry
in case of sentence 2 what do I use "could" or "could have happened" to express past tense. I think that the thing can happen now.(confident) (present) I think that the thing could happen now.(less confident) (present) Here is my question. I thought that the thing could happen then.(past) I thought that the thing could happen then.(past) I know the past tense of "can" is could but in case of sentence 2 what do I use "could" or "could have happened" to express past tense.
8 févr. 2014 22:31
6
0
If discussing something that might have happened in the past, it is more normal to say "I thought that the thing could have happened then". The sentence "I thought that the thing could happen then" does not necessarily reflect discussion about an event in the past.
9 février 2014
Thanks :-)
10 février 2014
not sure but I read somewhere on italki that "could" is both past and conditional of "can" As a native, I don't think much about it. I like I think the thing could have happened then.
8 février 2014
This is kind of a tough one, maybe if you explain more what you are trying to say?
8 février 2014
Which is sentence two?
8 février 2014
Harry