Community Web Version Now Available
What do you call a secondary school with enhanced coverage of French? Does "a specialized French school" make sense?
Feb 9, 2014 7:36 PM
Answers · 9
A school with a French immersion program
February 9, 2014
In addition to what everyone else has said the exact term you would use would depend on the country (or even different states within a country) since the education systems of USA/UK/Australia/Canada etc are different. I believe in America (Americans might correct me) they are called magnet schools – public schools but with a certain specialisation. My family in Arizona sent their kids to a local school that has a particular emphasis on Spanish education. In the UK I think they have “specialist schools.” So since the education systems are different there isn't one official name for this type of school. However if you said “a school which specialises in French” or “a school which has a particular emphasis on languages, like French” or similar it will sound natural and be understood.
February 9, 2014
My children went to a primary school with a partial French immersion program. They had two teachers for each year level. One taught them half the day speaking only English. The other teacher taught them for half the day speaking exclusively in French.
February 9, 2014
Language Skills
English, Russian
Learning Language