mayllt
what does "have an extra hole"mean? In the first place I didn’t think there was a problem. I thought the country was past the antiquated notion that there was some-thing unacceptable about a First Lady with a mind of her own. Further, I thought you’d have to have an extra hole in your head to think anyone could tell that President’s wife how she was sup-posed to behave.
2
0
I have never seen that figure of speech before. From the context it is a negative statement about the people in government who didn't like opinionated First Ladies. It could be replaced with: "You would be a backwards anti-feminist" "You would be a an anti-antediluvian relic" etc etc.. The meaning of the saying could be (I am not sure): -you would would have to be brain-dead. -someone would shoot you for assuming so.
"An extra hole in your head" would imply a wound of some sort (gunshot? pickaxe?) and if you're still alive, then part of your brain has probably fallen out. "I thought you’d have to have an extra hole in your head to think (that...)" means "I thought you’d have to be extremely stupid to think (that...)"
mayllt