xiaokaoy
Is it appropriate for me to speak to my two-year-old child in this way? 1) Do you want/Would you like to pee/poop? 2) Hand me my phone on the table. 3) Come on, baby. 4) Wash your hands before eating the apple.
7
0
(1) Do you want to pee/poop --> perfect! "Would you like" seems a little too polite to use for a child, although it is not wrong. (2) Good! You can also say "give me the phone on the table." (3) I wouldn't call a baby "baby" to his/her face. You can refer to a baby as a baby in the third person (e.g., "that baby is soooo cute!"), but when an adult calls another person a "baby," I usually think of that person as the speaker's lover. Instead, you might use another term of endearment, like "come on along, pumpkin!" This is just my personal habit, so others may have different opinions on this... (4) Perfect!
If you want to teach your children manners then use them yourself. For things like 'wash your hands!', I guess you don't use 'please' because you don't want your child to have any choice there, but something like passing your phone is something that doesn't really benefit them, so I think it'd be better to say 'can you please pass me my phone?' or 'please pass me my phone'.
xiaokaoy