ThinkerElle
Does the difference between Latin American Spanish and Spain Spanish hinder communication? Does the difference between Latin American Spanish and Spain Spanish hinder communication between different Spanish speakers? I ask because I noticed that my Spanish speaking coworkers seem at time a little hesitant to their Spanish skills when it comes to talking to Spanish speakers from certain areas. For example, I know a good amount of Puerto Ricans that are hesitant to speak "Mexican" or "South American" Spanish. I also know a Spanish speaker (second language speaker) who learned Mexican Spanish and is hesitant to speak Spanish to Puerto Ricans. It also seems that a lot of the Spanish speakers that I work with regularly discuss the meaning of different words from different areas in the Spanish speaking world. I say this all to say that I am just trying to understand what I am dealing with because I don't want to make any Spanish speaker uncomfortable when I approach them to try to practice my Spanish.
9
0
Not at all. Spanish native speaking people are all relatives in a way or another.If you are proud of your native language ,or mother tongue,you realize that you are closer to other Spanish speaking people than from people that speak any other languages. It depends on your roots,on how proud you are to be a native Spanish speaker,your education,your backgroud... I´m proud to speak Spanish as my native language. And all people from Soth or Central America,and Spain,are in some way, my friends.
I lived in Spain for several years and recently visited Argentina, Uruguay and Chile for the first time. I was nervous because I was afraid that I would have problems understanding the Spanish in those countries. I was pleasantly surprised. I understood everyone, and everyone understood me. The language differences were not as exaggerated as I had been told. The new words I learned were things like "frutilla" instead of "fresa and "palta" instead of "aguacate". Slang varies a lot too of course, just as it does from country to country in the English-speaking world. But these are not differences that make communication impossible, by any means.
If you stick to standard Spanish, then you shouldn't have any problems communicating with any educated person from any Spanish speaking country. Things may get a little tricky with some colloquial expressions and certain words, but nothing that would cause complete dismay.
It's not really uncomfortable, we can communicate quite well with each other it's just that some words are different or least use, I think is something just like people in the States use the word cookies while british seems to call them biscuits, is just kinda interesting and a way to learn about each other cultures. I think the most troubles are with slangs and certain expressions propers from a region but is always fun to ask for the meaning and see if I there is an equivalent in my country.
I will answer your question with two questions can you understand a person from wales, australia, south africa, etc...? do you speak 100% like them? Incluso en el mismo país se habla con expresiones o palabras diferentes.
ThinkerElle
English, French, Haitian Creole, Spanish
French, Haitian Creole, Spanish