Ronnie Callegari
Help needed using il verbo "dispiacere" Hi Having trouble using this verb "dispiacere" in conversation and messages I know to say : I am sorry to go = mi dispiace andare How do I say He/She is sorry to go We are sorry to go They are sorry to go and following on : How do I say He/She was sorry to go We were sorry to go They were sorry to go Regards Ronnie
2
0
I am sorry to go = mi dispiace andare via How do I say He/She is sorry to go a lui/lei dispiace andare via We are sorry to go = ci dispiace andare via They are sorry to go = a loro dispiace andare via and following on : How do I say He/She was sorry to go = gli/le dispiaceva (dover) andare via We were sorry to go = ci dispiaceva (dover) andare via They were sorry to go = a loro dispiaceva (dover) andare via I added dovere because we usually say so even if it's no the exact transation
What is a bit confusing is that in this case (if i am not wrong) the subject is "andare" (to go). It's a bit like saying: "To go displeases me". Present: mi dispiace andare gli/le dispiace andare ci dispiace andare gli dispiace andare Past (passato prossimo) mi è dispiaciuto andare gli/le è dispiaciuto andare ci è dispiaciuto andare gli è dispiaciuto andare instead of "è dispiaciuto" you could also say "dispiacque" (passato remoto) o "dispiaceva" (imperfetto) Perhaps you could even say "dover andare" instead of "andare", to stress on the fact that you "have to".
Ronnie Callegari
English, Italian
Italian