Ensomih
Some slang and grammar Please help me out to understand the following phrases: 1. That was a close one! 2. Slap some sence into you 3. Lay it on me! 4. "News" is singular or plural? Why do they tell "This IS great news"? 5. Why in famous "CounterStrike" - computer game they say "terrorist win" and not "terrorist won" as Past?
1
0
1. Close one - a situation where an undesirable outcome was narrowly avoided (also close call, close shave) 2. Slap some sence into you - change someone's ideas through physical intimidation 3. Lay it on me! - telling someone to proceed with whatever he or she is going to do to you 4. "News" is singular or plural? Why do they tell "This IS great news"? - "News" has no plural form. 5. Why in famous "CounterStrike" - computer game they say "terrorist win" and not "terrorist won" as Past? - Win is a noun here.
Ensomih