Sri Lestari
Professional Teacher
Could you explain this in simpler language? she, to the last, expressed her indignation at the impiety of mariners and other, who had the presumption to go'meandering' about the world. it was in vain to represent to her that some conveniences, tea perhaps included, resulted from this objectionable practice. she always returned, with greater emphasis and with an instinctive knowledge of the strength of her objection, 'let us have no meandering.' Thank you very much
2014年2月15日 01:31
7
0
Meandering means moving in a winding or zigzag way, in this case exploring in an unplanned way. The purpose of this passage is to establish that this woman is an eccentric and comic character. I admire your ambition, but are you sure you want to take on this huge novel? His style is famous for being verbose and long-winded. It is grammatical, but not what I would recommend for English learners.
2014年2月15日
Cool, I hope we'll get to read at least a chunk of that piece on English class, otherwise I'll have to obtain it myself, only from this snippet I can tell the entire novel is moist and chock-full of vocabulary riches, hari semesta :D
2014年2月16日
yes it is
2014年2月16日
Is this Charles Dickens' David Copperfield ?
2014年2月16日
Thank you Mike for your help. Sorry I forgot to capitalize the letter after the full stop when writing down the part I didn't understand from the book. btw what does "let us have no meandering" mean?
2014年2月15日
Sri Lestari
English, Indonesian, Other, Russian