Americo
Shall I learn first Chinese mandarin or Cantonese? I'm a wee bit confused about both and where is it spoken ?
10
0
The answer should be depends on your learning purpose. If you want to be able to understand Chinese program on TV you might need to learn Cantonese as there are more Taiwanese TV channels abroad. If you want to come to main land China or be able to speak to the people from there, then you will have to learn Mandarin.
mandarin. People in China mainland , Hong Kong, Taiwan and may some areas in south Asia can understand mandarin. However, Cantonese is only used in Hong Kong and a China province named Guangdong.So choose mandarin to learn .
Well, Mandarin is "ordinary speech"(普通话), and Cantonese is more difficult to learn to speak (more tones).. In a couple of hundred years, if we haven't destroyed the planet by then, the regional dialects might disappear. I know that's a stretch. On the other hand, a person must assess their individual needs.
Cantonese is spoken in Guanzhou area + Hong Kong... so -- learn Chinese
Thank you Kai.L ... I would go with mandarin
Americo