Jamie
Can you use than instead of then? Sometimes I see a foreigner they often use "than" instead of "then'' For instance.."thanks, I will study hard than I can go travel"..I think it's about "time" then you should use "then"? Is it a formal way to say use that ? Please explain it,thanks in advance
8
0
They have very different meanings and are not interchangeable. It is common for native speakers to make such a spelling error, much like the case of their / there / they're, or loose / lose. Then: is always related to time, and the order of events. "I showered, then I got dressed" (I showered, and having completed my shower, i proceeded to get dressed). "i showered, than I got dressed" -> it does not make sense Than: it is a comparison word. what comes before 'than' is compared with what comes after. "I think apples are nicer than oranges" (I much prefer apples over oranges) "I think apples are nicer, then oranges, then bananas" (could make sense, if you were asked to provide a list of fruits, in order of their 'niceness'. Note that in the second case, there are different meanings, and the comma separates the two clauses. So they are still not interchangeable but there are some cases where they can fit in similarly structured sentences.
You are not hearing "than", but a difference in pronunciation. In some places, the accent makes it difficult to hear a difference.
Then and than are not interchangeable. I did this and then I did that. I like this better than I like that.
Jamie
English, Vietnamese