Chloe
if I make a play in it I intended to buy an oven from some delivery person. The oven is for commercial use and it is delivered directly from some manufacturer. When I met the delivery guy I found the actual price varied from the price he offered me on the phone. Normally, the amount I need to pay includes the price of the oven and the freight. However, as the oven price turned to be higher than I had been told, I asked the delivery guy whether the oven price could include freight. He answered me:" If I can make a play in this, the freight can be included." What does his reply mean? Does it mean if he can still benefit even after including the freight, he will include the freight in the oven price? Thanks so much.
2
0
Well, the man is unscrupulous. Assuming no misunderstanding, his offering a different price at the time of delivery is outright fraud. "Make a play" is a general expression, but it can mean "to execute a business move". Otherwise, the mindset of a criminal is difficult to fathom.
It's an odd choice of words, it might be natural speech in some parts of the world. I think his meaning is that 'you should try to drive a bargain' to see if you can get the freight included because of the price difference.
Chloe
Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese
Japanese