sunny
Father and Farther I have a question to native speakers of English about Father and Farther(>far) . Do you hear absolute/clear difference between those two in terms of sounds? Or you understand mainly by the context? Is number of syllables different? I am not sure... I cannot differentiate those two when I speak or hear them. Thank you!
8
0
In British English, they have the exact same pronunciation. Maybe that's what you're hearing.
Most of the speakers of US can absolutely tell the difference just by listening, because most US speakers say a hard "R" sound. In part of the US like Massachusetts, they may speak the two words more similarly. I tell my students to get the hard "r" to put their teeth together, and say rrr, rrr, almost like an angry dog. This will help you to say the word farther differently than father. Good luck, or try to schedule with me and I will practice this with you.
same
Thank you! I see. I am really not good at "R" sound. that is why.
Most native english speakers form the "r" sound in "farther" by raising the back of the tongue, slightly closing the back of the mouth. It is mechanically distinct from father. But it you are not used to the sounds, the distinction is slight. If you learn to make the "r" very hard yourself, you will also hear it better.
sunny