Weiyang Luo
Is it grammatically correct to ask"how much is this chair worth?" or should I say "what is the chair worth?" I know "how much is it?"is right,it's simply when you just want to put in the word "worth",which way to ask is a better relatively better way? Thanks.
4
0
Both sound ok to me. I know how much and worth seen to make it redundant. How much is that chair would be what your ask at a store or yard sale. How much is that chair worth would be something you might ask in a antique store or a museum where you don't want to buy it, you are just interested in how much it is worth.
"How much is this chair worth?" is technically correct, but you could also ask, "How much is this chair?" Alternatively, you could ask, "How much does this chair cost?" The second and third ways sound better when spoken, but all of them are correct.
Weiyang Luo