Anotherworld
be made from something/be made of something Cans couldn't be made of solid tin. Cans are made from sheets of iron or steel. be made from something be made of something What is the difference between the two? Are they all correct? Please help me! Thanks!^ ^
4
0
Ah okay, there's a tiny subtlety in the two sentences: To be "made of" something refers specifically to a material or composition. Example: The can is made of steel. It is composed of steel. To be "made from" something implies that it is a product of something bigger (i.e., it's a subset of a bigger "thing"). In your second example, it says it's made from *sheets* of iron and metal, that's why "from" is used. In other words, the can was made from a bigger source or object which is the sheet of iron and metal. Another example: You would say: The vase is made of glass. But you would not say: "The vase is made *from* glass, unless you started with a solid block of glass and hollowed it out to make the vase. However, you could say: "The vase is made from recycled glass, because you are identifying "recycled glass" as the source object.
There is a very small difference. "Made of" is always correct. "Made from" is only correct if the new thing at one time used to be the old thing. Example: My body is made of bones and muscle. My body is not MADE FROM bones and muscle, because nobody took bones and muscle and changed them into my body. The cans are made from iron and steel because somebody had some iron and steel and changed them into cans. Therefore, the cans are made of iron and steel. "Made from" describes something that happened. "Made of" describes a quality that something has.
Anotherworld