Denis
إن شاء الله + future I wonder: 1) as far as I understand it’s not mandatory to use إن شاء الله for the future tense. Is it common in everyday conversation? or is it only for a formal speech? 2) Can it be used as a ‘modal verb’? for example: ‘Please, do as I say!’ -- ‘OK, I will’. Can I answer here: حسنا، أن شاء الله (= ‘I will’), dropping the verb? 3) Can it be used with a negative form? e.g. ‘It won’t happen tomorrow (insha'Allah)’ and 4) What if I’m not a Muslim? Should I use it? Do Arabic-speaking Christians use it? Thanks.
10
0
It's for Allah willing , and yes it's a common in everyday conversation . For me, it's not sound that good as a modal verb because it's not a verb or doesn't have anything related to tenses. It's just an expression Muslims use it to express the idea that if Allah wanted us to do something we'd do it, but if I promised to do something and circumstances were against me and my will, then it'd not be my fault to not having that thing done. And yes, you can use it with both negative and positive form. But usually, people say insha Allah as an answer for no in some cases, but that meaning wouldn't be explicit. If you asked me to do your homework for you and I said , yea , insha Allah. Iit'd mean no. It's more an Islamic expression than being Arabic one, so it's up to you whether to use it or not. But for me, when natives use that expression, they sound friendlier somehow.
1-Yes, it's common in everyday speach. 2-Yes, you're right and it's quite natural. You can use it alone too. 3-Yes, it's used with negative and affirmative future. 4-It's up to you, if you want to use it, use it, if you don't want, then don't! Hmmm....I'm not sure if Christians use it or not (I'll make sure and tell you later!).
* Using "Insha'Allah" is never mandatory. It is used widely in everyday speech, and as far as I know, it is rarely used formally. * The use of "Insha'Allah" is very accurate in your sentence; that's one precise example of how it is used. * It sure can. It is very common to use it in negative forms, and the example you've given is a good one. * Christians here in the Middle East share the same culture with Muslims, and most times it is very hard to differentiate between them based on their speech and use of words. Here in Jordan, many Christians use Insha'Allah in their everyday speech. Perhaps it differs in other countries, but I would argue it rarely does.
I am an American Christian and my Christain friends and I say this regularly to one another when we speak Arabic.
Denis
Arabic, English, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish
Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish