Meg.T
"the meat was off." Are there other expressions with "off" to describe a certain food is old?
4
0
You can use 'go off': - When does the meat go off? - It's already gone off! The use-by date was yesterday.
Dominic is from the UK, and his answer is interesting because we would not say "When does the meat go off?" in the United States when referring to food. We would say "When does the meat go bad?" As an American, I would say "go off" to refer to a timer ringing, a bomb exploding, or a person exploding with anger! However, we would still use "off" as an adjective to describe anything that is unusual, weird, or out of place. "The milk smelled off, so I threw it away." "I felt off yesterday, so I went home." "This paragraph feels off to me. You should rewrite it." So, slight difference between American and British English.
Meg.T
English, Italian, Japanese
English, Italian