Waisukkuacmkhyi Ikac
Highway or freeway What's the difference between a highway and a freeway? Are the meanings of the words same in British and American English?
21 feb 2014 08:58
3
0
I agree with both Andrew and Peachy's answers. A freeway has limited on-ramps and off-ramps, and different rules than other roads (no tractors, scooters, horses, etc.) and they have a minimum speed limit (80 kph I believe here). In England you will find that "motorway" is the word for "freeway".
21 februari 2014
Good question. We have both highways and freeways in Australia, so don't think it's a British/American difference. There's a nice explanation here: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Freeway_vs_Highway I can't recall freeways existing outside of cities, but I'm happy to be corrected on that point...
21 februari 2014
Highway is a public road, especially an important road that joins cities or towns together: a coastal/interstate highway. Freeway is a wide road for fast-moving traffic, especially in the US, with a limited number of places at which drivers can enter and leave it: the Santa Monica freeway.
21 februari 2014
Waisukkuacmkhyi Ikac
Oneida, Other
Oneida