Vas
What does "rule" mean? This was from the next sentence: "Roberts's counselor ruled that spending money on Roberts would be wasted since it was "infeasible" that he could ever work."
7
0
Ruled --decided
Fron an on-line dictionary: 3. COURT/LAW [intransitive always + adverb/preposition, transitive] to make an official decision about something, especially a legal problem rule that The judge ruled that she should have custody of the children.
Vas: First, when you have to show possession by an identity (Roberts or Dawkins etc), you don't write it like "Roberts's" or "Dawkins's" (By the way, even Amazon.com makes this mistake on its website). the correct way to show possession for a name ending in S is like this: Roberts' counselor .........Dawkins' ideas ...etc. There are variations for Rule. There is the Noun use as in; "The Golden Rule" or "Roman Rule". There is the Verb use, as in; "I will rule the Olympic Competition in the men's 100 meter race." or "This king will rule with an iron fist!" or, "You should rule with an Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove." It is also used in boasting or bragging, as in; "My favorite team rules!" or "I rule this video game!" One might use "rule" this way; "Aristotle's three Rules of Logic governs the way that the mind works in thinking."
Vas
English, Russian, Spanish