sumsum
When we don't use "the" in superlative? thanks. e.g: The fisherman is happiest.
4
0
In the (half) example you have given, the fisherman is not being compared to anyone else. For example: The fisherman is happiest when he is out at sea. Here you are talking about how the fisherman feels within himself, not comparing him to anyone else and you are saying that he would rather be out at sea than doing anything else. However whenever you make a comparison between different people or objects you have to use 'the' when using the superlative. For example: Jose is the happiest fisherman in his village. OR The happiest fisherman is the one who catches the biggest fish.
You use "the" when the superlative connects with a noun (rather obvious, when you think about it).
Do you mean in phrases like "the most", "the fastest", "the hardest" etc.? I'm pretty sure you always have to use 'the' unless there's an exception I can't think of right now. If you think you know an example where you don't have to use 'the', I'd be happy to have a look at it.
That is the strangest grammar question I've read today. Thank you.
sumsum
Arabic, English, Japanese, Kurdish, Turkish
Arabic, English, Japanese, Turkish