Natalia
When you can talk about things he \ she instead of it? for example. "I have a cat. She is very clever" . is it correct ?
6
0
'He' and 'she' can only be used to describe things that are biologically male or female. 'It' can be used to describe anything not human. If you say 'he' or 'she' to refer to an object, people will be confused and will think that you're literally talking about a person. Technically animals could be called either 'it' or 'he/she' (because they're not human and because they can be male or female). Unless you're talking about your own pet, you should always say 'it'. Ex. A: I have a cat. He has black fur. B: I also have a cat. She has white fur. Look at that cat. It is very fat! Sometime's in fiction (especially children's books) or in poems, objects will be called 'he' or 'she'. When this happens, the author wants you to literally imagine that the object is a talking, living person. For example, if I write a book about a talking tree, I'd probably refer to that tree as 'he' or 'she' (depending on whether I want the tree to have a male or female personality) instead of 'it', just because I consider the tree to be a person. There's only one exception that I can think of. It's tradition for sailors in the navy to call ships 'she'. Very serious sailors also sometimes adopt this tradition, but otherwise ships should always be called 'it'. Sometimes people who REALLY like their car do the same thing. This only happens when their obsession with their car is so great that they literally think of their car like a wife or girlfriend...it's weird.
we refer to things by "it" like this table i mine, it's a nice table. now english peole actually refer to their animals by he or she! and they refer to an unborn baby by "it" until they know it's gender. so these are the exceptions, i hope my answer will help
Regardless of who owns the cat or dog, in the United States we almost always refer to pets by "he" or "she" if we know the gender. If we don't know the gender, we would say "it" and perhaps be corrected by the owner. However, it is different with children -- we would never refer to a child as "it" regardless of whether we can determine the gender. The one exception is the unborn child, who can be referred to as "it" but only if the gender is unknown to the speaker.
hmmm.... didnt get what you are trying to say .....
Natalia