lee
the word"abject" and "ignoble" I have referred to the English dictionary to check the meanings of these two words. But the meanings of the words are still abstract for me. How exactly are the two words used in common life? Is there any understandable example?
4
0
Gary's example for abject is good. The word ignoble is also somewhat rare. It negates the word noble in the sense of nobility. The nobles were the ruling classes and nobles still rule in parts of the world. Nobles are high born while ignobles are born low or humble. The word ignoble has come to mean something that is less desired because of its origin. A person can succeed in spite of ignoble birth through hard work or athletic skill.
They certainly are not common words - I would probably consider them both to be somewhat archaic or literary, except abject, which is used idiomatically in 'abject failure', which usually means complete and utter failure.
lee