Timur Zhukov
What does it mean here? Help me please:))) {“She can’t make me,” Gansey said. “She doesn’t have to,” Ronan sniffed. “Mama’s boy.” “Dream me a solution.” “Don’t have to. Nature already gave you a spine. You know what I say? Fuck Washington.” “This is why you never have to go to things like this,” Gansey replied.} What does it mean "give a spine"? And how is it connected with Washington? Thank you very much in advance!
7
0
Woah! Although you've given a good chunk of text, that's a tricky one to answer without more context. Nature "giving you a spine" (which is something I would never say - or have never heard anyone say!) could mean you were born with a backbone. Sometimes "having a backbone" is another way of saying "having strength/being strong". Would that make sense here? As for Washington...hmm..it could be the capital of the USA, a name, a place...depends on the wider context.
I'm not sure what this is from but having a spine means being strong and standing up for yourself and others. We do use the term spineless (someone who lacks strength or conviction) or get a spine in the US sometimes. I would assume this is about Washington DC. I would also assume Ronan is someone who doesn't feel the need to pander to the DC crowd that is why he tells Gansey to get a spine, or to stop being a slave to the DC machine. Again a lot of this was speculation but I hope it helps!
Lindsay's got it. In American English we sometimes tell someone who is being timid or submissive to "grow a spine," or "grow a backbone," meaning to have courage and stand up for yourself. Ronan is telling Gansey, "You have a spine, be strong, not weak."
Timur Zhukov
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish