Sahar
conditional sentences I want to say my father promised me to buy a car for me if I passed the exam. If I say "He promised me if I passed the exam, he would buy me a car." It means is it unreal? Didn't he buy me or didn't I pass?? If I intend to express a real conditional sentence that happened in the past how should I say that? Like the example?
7
0
I think what you want to do depends on the timing of the exam. If the exam is still to come, you have already expressed a condition that happened in the past.
Yes, it happened
has he already bought you a car? are you trying to express a condition that was met?
The "conditional" only expresses a probability in English, I would have gone to the movies, if I had had time to go. "He promised me if I passed the exam, he would buy me a car."- you only get the car if you pass the exam.
Sahar
English, Persian (Farsi)