Pablo
Phrasal Verbs, Damn Phrasal Verbs I figure that it´s a silly question but, just in case , is there an easy way to learn Phrasal Verbs? There are lots of them and I feel sick when I try to learn them!
5
0
Just try to learn the important ones that you're going to need. In the other hand, you can also try to learn then focusing on the preposition, because exhausted preposition tends to have 3 or 4 different meanings. If you focus on the verb and then start adding prepositions, you're going to end nuts. It's also important to learn them in context, so instead of writing the meaning, just try to make some sentences that explain the meaning. You can use a free program, anki, to review them. And last but not least, if you have an ebook send me a private message, I'll send you a good book about phrasal verbs that I bought. Send me the PM in any case, because I'm going to try to convert it in PDF format. Have a nice day!
I understand - this is usually the hardest part of English students. Ironically, for us native speakers it's also the simplest way of speaking. :) Here are a couple of tips: - Learn them in context. That is, use example sentences. Some phrasal verbs can have completely different meanings depending on what else is in the sentence, so see what kind of object, subject or situation goes with the phrasal verb. Learning just the definition, without an example, is a guaranteed headache. - Use them as you learn them. This means rewriting the example sentences and saying them aloud. Of course you should be doing this all the time in your study, just to make your use of the sentences habitual and natural. Thinking too much might sabotage that. - Have a play with this site: http://www.roadtogrammar.com/phrasalverbs/ Remember to have a pen and paper! ;)
I regret to tell you phrasal verbs are mostly idiomatic. I do not know an easy way. Phrasal verbs might be the most difficult part of English.
Pablo
English, French, Galician, Spanish