Kelly Xu
You see the way the end swings out before me with each stride?' 'You see the way the end swings out before me with each stride?' he'd said as they strolled along Roving Brook together one autumn afternoon. 'That's as it should be. Good and solid. It's a reminder.' 'Of what, Daddy?' He'd frowned at the slippery bank as if the right words might be hidden there, between the reeds. 'Why— That I, too, am solid, I expect.' I cannot fully understand the first sentence in the first paragraph. Anyone can help me to explain it? Thank you very much.Daddy had been a first-rate walker, too, particularly after the Great War. Before he published the book, and before he left them to go up to London; before he met Odette and remarried and was never really theirs again. The doctor had advised that a daily walk would help his leg, and he'd taken to roaming the fields with the stick Mr Morris had left behind after one of Grandmother's weekends. 'You see the way the end swings out before me with each stride?' he'd said as they strolled along Roving Brook together one autumn afternoon. 'That's as it should be. Good and solid. It's a reminder.' 'Of what, Daddy?' He'd frowned at the slippery bank as if the right words might be hidden there, between the reeds. 'Why— That I, too, am solid, I expect.' The above is the previous paragraph.
7
0
He is talking about the walking stick that Mr Morris had left behind. :-)
He means the end of the walking stick that he is carrying. It swings with his momentum, and a "good and solid" swing of the stick means his own gait is good and solid.
It is not clear as to what they are doing. Perhaps you should submit the previous paragraph.
Kelly Xu