Kelly Xu
I would like to know what do words "nine-pounder" and "spooker" in this paragraph mean. I brought up the subject of Literature, especially the current popularity of ghost stories, mentioning that I'd written one or two myself—tolerably good ones, I think—and asking whether he'd ever tried the genre. That produced so long a silence I began to fear I'd somehow offended him. Then he loosed a cloud of smoke like the muzzle of a nine-pounder and said, "Only as a joke. I'm no spooker. I've never concealed my opinion of spiritualism—'sloppy twaddle' is about the kindest thing I ever called it. I would like to know what do words "nine-pounder" and "spooker" in this paragraph mean. Thanks in advance.
2
0
"Muzzle" is your clue here. Guns and cannons have muzzles. A nine-pounder is a type of cannon. http://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/photogallery/ner/park/vafo/2CCDBB59-155D-451F-678B594A993E0AEC/2CCDBB59-155D-451F-678B594A993E0AEC-large.JPG A "spook" is a ghost. From the context, we understand that a "spooker" is a person who believes in ghosts.
Kelly Xu