Alberto Paredes
"wanna", "gotta" and "gonna" Hi, guys. I have some doubts: what means "wanna", "gotta" and "gonna"? And if there are more similar words than those. Thanks for answering :D
9
0
It's good to know they exist, but these are slurred forms of English and basically exist only in spoken form. If you can slur it, it exists: finna, dunno, don'cha, avagoyamug... As a learner, please avoid them. Too many students think these forms are "better" or "more authentic" than the textbook English, and end up using them in their writing (completely wrong, even at a casual level) or adding them to their speech. They usually mispronounce these forms, so the typical effect is that the learner sounds childish and very non-native. Also, the learner starts making mistakes that would never happen if he/she used the proper form. So... just beware. Just remember that even if a native speaker uses these forms, that person is fully aware that there is a proper form, and knows how to use the proper form. Some native speakers only use the slurred forms as a joke. There's nothing wrong with speaking English properly. :D
Alberto,to me these words seem to be a part of american english(slangs) and since,i don't like slang language,i would bother saying:I want to,i got to and i am going to.But sometimes,when i am in a bit of hurry,i consider it too much of a fag to pronounce the whole phrases, so i just say :I gotta,i am gonna and i wanna.This certainly proves that american english helps us a great deal :D
Buenas Noches Alberto!!! yo veo que tienes unas duditas de esas palabras y pienso que puedo ayudar. Wanna is a "slang" form of saying want to , I want to go or I 'wanna' go. Gotta is the same it's a shorthand or slang form of I got to or I have to. I got to go to a birthday party , I 'gotta' go to a b-day party. Gonna is the same concept , I'm going to go to a business meeting , I'm 'gonna' go to a meeting. Ojala he aliviado sus dudas , nos vemos !
Great question, Alberto. I agree that you should always use the official spellings ("want to," "got to," and "going to") for these common expressions. That being said, in the spoken language, "wanna," "gotta," and "gonna" are absolutely the usual pronunciations (in all dialects of native English -- they are not Americanisms -- they are the inevitable result of English phonetic rules), and I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with them so that you will understand standard spoken English. I strongly disagree with English teachers who insist on clinging to silly notions of prescriptive linguistics and thus fail to prepare their students for real live conversations. If you follow their advice you will be well prepared to understand English teachers, but not a normal conversation. You should also learn: "Hafta" and the reduced form of "can" (/kn/). After you've learned the past unreal conditional, you should also familiarize yourself with "coulda," shoulda," "woulda" (note that the "l" is silent in each of the preceding three words), "mighta," and "musta." Plus the negative forms, but already we're getting into rather advanced grammar.
Alberto Paredes
English, Portuguese, Spanish
English, Portuguese