djyummypants
How is the proverb "the useful tree is cut down first" worded exactly & how it is written in Korean? I am getting a tattoo in remembrance of my best friend that passed away and was from Korea.I wanted to get the proverb about "the useful tree gets cut down first" but I have used 15 different translators and I get different results. Can someone please tell me the exact way the proverb is worded and how it is written in Korean. Thank You very much-Amity
Mar 2, 2014 4:38 PM
3
0
I think "곧은 나무가 먼저 잘린다" can be answer what you try to find. It also can be mentioned "초목선벌" or "招木先伐". And "미인박명" can be another answer. it means that "beautiful women come to an untimely end.
There is a proverb "나무도 쓸 만한 것이 먼저 베인다" in Korean. The literal meaning of ths saying is that the useful tree is cut down first. However, it has two different kinds of meanings. It is used in positive meaning that a talented person would be always slected first, and be assigned important jobs. And sometimes, it is used in negative meaning that a talented person might be dying earlier than normal person.
djyummypants
Korean