Kelly Xu
That's why the only spirits I trust reside in wine cellars and charred oak casks. "An acquaintance of mine wanted to consult a deceased uncle about some family business. He sought out a medium who summoned the spirit, but he soon grew suspicious at his uncle's ignorance of his earthly life, and asked whether he had died naturally or by a catastrophe. 'Natural death,' the ghost replied. Well, as a matter of fact, a cyclone had picked the old gentleman up, blown him three miles, and used him to knock down a tree sixty-five feet high. That's why the only spirits I trust reside in wine cellars and charred oak casks. I cannot fully understand the last sentence in this paragraph. Anyone could help me explain it. Thanks in advance.
Mar 2, 2014 4:45 PM
6
0
"Spirit" has two meanings - it can mean a ghost, or it can mean distilled alcohol.
Sometimes you will see on signs 'Liquor and Spirits' , which means basically that they have alcohol available there. It's good to know what the word means in reference to alcohol , but Is never used in spoken English , not here in America anyway. It's more or less a dead ancient word.
Kelly Xu