Sanya
'Must have been put off' or 'must be put off'? There is no one in the meeting-room. The meeting must have been put off . There is no one in the meeting-room. The meeting must be put off . That the meeting was put off is in the past, 'the meeting must have been put off' carries the meaning that the speaker is making a hypothesis that the meeting was put off before with certainty. So the first sentence is correct. Could I say 'the meeting must be put off' to express the same thing? Thank you.
2014년 3월 3일 오후 1:07
4
0
I think "put off" sounds unnatural. I would use "cancelled", or perhaps the meeting was "rescheduled". If you submitted cancelled instead and said "The meeting must have been cancelled" or "The meeting must be cancelled" then they can pretty much both be used, just that the first one is implying that the meeting was cancelled in the past and the second is implying that you realized the meeting was cancelled just now, upon entering the empty room.
2014년 3월 3일
I got it. 'Must have done' and 'must do' are much easier to undertand than their passive voices. Thank you Frank. :)
2014년 3월 3일
I think if there was an earthquake that's happening, you might say that to mean we have to terminate the meeting and leave the building immediately.
2014년 3월 3일
Sanya