JOY
screen,have the advantage of 1 " You have done wisely," said my friend. "But have you told me all?" " Yes,all." "Miss Roylott, you have not. You are screening your stepfather." " Why, what do you mean?" 2 "Which of you is Holmes?" asked this apparition. "My name,sir;but you have the advantage of me," said my companion quietly. " I am Dr. Grimesby Roylott, of Stoke Moran." " Indeed, Doctor," said Holmes blandly." Pray take a seat.‘ What do the two phrases mean in the paragraphs?
Mar 4, 2014 3:45 AM
2
0
From the context I suspect "screening" means revealing only selected facts about him, as if the story were passed through a screen. She's not telling the entire truth about her stepfather and may be protecting him in some way. In this case, "you have the advantage of me" means you know my name, but I don't know yours.
screen就是筛除的意思,他后爹的事情他并没有说。take advntage of就是占便宜的意思,不过有限的上下文中好像还不太清楚为什么apparition占了他便宜
JOY
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish
Spanish