laiza
Rendez-vous when is(un, en, a) used Hello people I have a question about using the (rendez-vous) word in french I found some examples in the book that I am studying 1-)Ils ont un rendez-vous - This part I understood 2-)elle est en rendez-vous ---- but this part I did not understand, why is it (elle est en rendez-vous)? why can't it be (elle est en un rendez-vous)??? in the first explample ils ont un rendez-vous (un) was used, but why was (un) not used in the second example? this is confusing. 3-)Madame langlois a rendez-vous mercredi á midi - This part I did not understand why is it Madame langlois a rendez-vous mercredi á midi?? and why can't it be Madame langlois a un rendez-vous mercredi á midi, why was (un) not used in this sentence? why was it used in the first example but not in this one?? oui, il a un rendez-vous. - this part I understood j'ai un rendez-vous mardi matin - this part I also understood I am just confused about using the (un) in the sentence that has the word rendez-vous Please help
5 mar 2014 05:30
3
0
2 - with "en" you dont put an article, "en"`is doing the job of the article. In your sentence, it means she's in the middle of an appointment. Other examples like this : Elle est en classe. (she's in the classroom, doing school things) 3 - you could have said "madame a un rendez-vous à midi" OR " madame a rendez-vous à midi", both would be correct. I don't know why we skip it it, I think it's for style. "a un rendez-vous" would look impersonal (she has one appointment) but saying "a rendez-vous" it makes it sounds important and urgent (she has an appointment).
5 marzo 2014
laiza
French, Portuguese
French