Alberto
Able to or available? 1) On weekdays, my parents aren't able to go swimming. 2) On weekdays, my parents aren't available to go swimming. Are this sentences correct? Does its have the same meaning?
Mar 6, 2014 1:51 PM
4
1
Not the same. First one, your parents want to go swimming but there is a reason they can't. The second one probably means that you want them to go swimming with you, or take you swimming, but there is a reason why they can't. If you added "with me" to each sentence they would be very close.
Although way they could differ depends on the context of the situation. For example in the first sentence the parents may not be 'able to go' because they are not physically capable (too old) In the second sentence this more likely indicates a time constraint. 'aren't available to go'. They are very busy at work so have no time. Hope that helps.
The sentences do mean the same thing. It's just two different ways of saying the same thing. The question for each sentence would be as follows: 1) Are your parents able to go swimming on weekdays? 2) Are your parents available to go swimming on weekdays? Muy bien! Buena suerte
Alberto
English, Italian, Spanish