Teby
Difference between Must, Shall and Should? Can you give me some examples to use Must, Shall and Should? Thanks :)
Mar 6, 2014 3:10 PM
2
0
Must means one has to do something. "I must go to the store or we will run out of food." Shall means that you are planning on doing something. "When shall you go to the store? I shall go tomorrow when I have some time." Should means you ought to do something but you won't necessarily do it. "I really should go to the store, but I just don't feel like it today, maybe I'll go tomorrow." You may also note that the word shall is not used very often very much in American English. I personally like it and try to throw it in whenever I can. Instead many Americans use the word "will". I believe "shall" is still often used in British English (and probably Australian and South African too).
"Must" implies that there is a physical necessity involved. It also implies that something bad will happen if you "must" do something and you don't do it. 1. I "must" tell him. 2. I "must" do my chores. 3. I "must" think of something. "Should" implies a moral necessity, a "doing this would be the right thing" sort of vibe. You don't necessarily have to do it if it's "should", but it would generally be the right thing to do it. 1. I "should" help him. 2. You "should" tell her what you think. 3. I "should" try a little harder. "Shall" is different, with no implied obligation. Traditionally, "shall" is used for the future tense with the first-person pronouns I and We: I shall, we shall. Generally, it's used like "will". 1. I "shall" visit the town today. (I will visit the town today.) 2. "Shall" we go? 3. It "shall" be done. (It will be done.)
Teby
English, French, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
English, French, Russian, Swedish