Anotherworld
This two sentences is connected by the note of semicolon. I was taught about the importance of repetitive practice in high school. But I didn’t learn it in the classroom; I learned it on the basketball court. I had a genuine passion for the game, and really loved to learn how to play basketball. An outstanding high school coach taught me many basic basketball skills: footwork, defense, positioning, and passing. When I was a freshman, he said to me, “If you want to become good enough to play in college, you have to repeat the basketball skills over and over. The more you repeat them, the easier it’ll be to do them in real games. They’ll come automatically if you have done them many times before.” But I didn’t learn it in the classroom; I learned it on the basketball court. This two sentences is connected by the note of semicolon. If the author uses a period instead of it, would it ,I wonder, makes a lot of difference? I want to listen to your feeling about the changes. Please help me Thanks!^ ^
Mar 6, 2014 11:01 PM
2
0
Somehow, this answer posted on another question, so I'm copying it here: Meaning-wise, it doesn't make a big difference. It's used more for literary effect, to emphasize that we are listening to someone's train of thought, connected by the idea of "learning". It has the effect of conveying a tone/sentence flow of storytelling, where the narrator would go on and on (maybe even ramble), and not have terse, precisely delineated sentences.
No.
Anotherworld