datoumaowa
how to understand "Maybe it meant joining another practice" Maybe this meant changing his affiliation with a local hospital. Maybe it meant joining another practice.
Mar 7, 2014 1:45 AM
4
0
A practice can refer to a professional business, in this case a doctor's office, although the term is used in the fields of dentistry and law too. Doctors can be part of a group practice, where they work with other doctors, or an individual practice on their own. This doctor is in business with other doctors and would leave their practice to join a different group of doctors.
"a practice" in this case refers to place where doctors work. It could be a hospital, or a local doctors office. You can say that at these places doctors practice medicine.
A "practice" is run by a "practitioner". In hospitals, doctors are practitioners of medicine. A general practitioner is a medical practitioner who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients.
this sentence is suggesting that the meaning of what happened is that he should join another practice. For example, if I want to eat pizza and I know it's not healthy and I decide to eat it anyway. I grab the pizza and then accidentally drop it on the ground. Then I could say "Maybe this meant I should have eaten something else". Dropping the pizza is like a sign to tell me that I should not eat it.
datoumaowa