Giulia
Specialized or Skilled? If I say: I have been studying aerospace engineering for 3 years and I hope to graduate within this year. Then I would like to become specialized in space. Are there errors? Is there some difference between the use of "specialized" and "skilled". Which one is better?
Mar 7, 2014 7:00 PM
5
0
You would say: "within the year", or "by the end of this year". Within this year doesn't quite sound right, but almost! Specialized means you have the knowledge of a subject, while skilled means you can perform an activity. Because space is a broad subject area, you would specialize in knowledge of it.
Gordon R. You can be skilled at many things, like driving a car, but you don't have to know how the engine works. However, you can't operate on someone's heart, that's a specialized occupation, and you must know how the heart works. After all, you wouldn't want a skilled plumber to operate on your partner's heart. You would demand a highly specialized surgeon. The gap between 'skilled' and 'specialized' can be very wide.
I would say "Then I would like to SPECIALIZE in space"
Giulia
English, Italian