Melody
Anybody/ nobody/ somebody Which sentence can I use each word?
Mar 9, 2014 12:14 PM
3
0
You and your friend are walking down the street and you see what looks like a famous person, surrounded by photographers. So you say to your friend: You: Is he anybody? Your friend: yes, he's somebody but I can't remember who. You: What about the man behind him? Your friend: Oh, him? He's nobody. Anybody and somebody both mean a person of some importance but those words do not have to refer to famous people. This could refer to the right person to give you a job. For example, "He can help you get a job in advertising. He's somebody you should know." And finally, nobody means an unimportant person.
To help clear things up, I'll give you two example sentences for each: Can ANYBODY tell me where the store is? Does ANYBODY know the answer to this question? NOBODY wants to talk to her. NOBODY came to work. SOMEBODY help me! SOMEBODY should talk to her.
I will just give you some example sentences. Let me know if you want more explanation: Anybody ("cualquiera" from Google Translate) - The game is easy! Anybody can play it! - Does anybody want to go to the movies? - Anybody who drinks that water will become sick. Nobody ("nadie") - Nobody loves me. - If nobody is watching the TV, I will turn it off. - How is business? ... Not good! Nobody is buying motorcycles in winter! * Also the word "no one" is used in casual speech. It means "nobody". Somebody ("alguien") - Will somebody help me? - Somebody smashed my window! "Somebody" means "a non-specific person; a person, but I don't know who, or it's not important who. Just a person."
Melody