Pelin
Can I use them when I am talking about the past? "in my day" and "in my time"
Mar 9, 2014 10:13 PM
4
0
It's often a good idea to give some context. Without this, I would say the following. My grandfather might say, it wan't like that "in my day" or "in my time". It might be that granddad is upset that things appear to have changed since he was a boy; or it might be the opposite that he is very happy that things have improved; or he may be simply be pointing out differences.
You would use these phrases if you are telling a story from your past. Generally, only old people use these phrases when they want to tell you what their life was like when they were your age. Another more common way to say it is, "Back in my day."
If you are writing a formal paper for class, never refer to yourself unless the assignment specifically calls for it.
Yes, as long as you describe beforehand what time period you are referencing so that the reader understands what you are referring to later on.
Pelin
English, Turkish