Bunch
I want to know the words "had better be up to something" In an adventure game, I ran into a hunter in the forest. He said as following : "In this forest, there are plants for the not-so-experienced alchemists, as well trees for apprentice lumberjacks. They're the ones who upset me the most, since the deforestation chases away the game. Speaking of game, the hunters had better be up to the job. Q. What does it mean by the game in this? Q. Do you think the sentence "the hunters had better be up to the job" makes sense? Is it natural and correct? I don't understand its exact meaning. Could you explain this for me, Please? 'ㅡ^+ (I try and guess, and I think that means "The hunters had better make a plan (against them)". What do you think?
Mar 10, 2014 12:26 AM
2
0
A: The word 'game' can also mean animals that are hunted for sport or for food. A: By saying "the hunters had better be up to the job," the speaker is expressing hope that the hunters will be able to successfully hunt the animals (the game, in this case) in the forest. Saying or hoping that someone is 'up to the job' is a natural expression that is quite commonly used to express hope that someone is capable of performing a task. An example: imagine you are getting your house getting painted in a difficult way by a novice painter. It would be normal for you to say to your family member, "I hope this painter is up to the job!"
When the hunter says they "had better be up to the job", he means he sincerely hopes the lumberjacks are ready for their tasks or duties. It seems the hunter is upset about all the deforestation, so the least the lumberjacks could do is be preform their job. This is correct English. It makes perfect sense, too, but I can see where it might be confusing! :) I'm not aware of this game, so I'm unclear on what the lumberjack's job truly is, but it might be what you mentioned; making a plan to hunt game.
Bunch
English, Japanese, Korean