JasmineChen
usage of "Of" "Of more concern are the findings that playing sadistic computer games may increase aggressiveness." "put more of an emphasis on" Would anybody explain the usage of "of" in these two sentences? And what's the grammar structure in the first sentence? Millions of thanks.
Mar 10, 2014 9:52 AM
6
0
Ms. Chen: 1. I think that it would helpful to first put the sentence in "regular" order: The FINDINGS that playing sadistic computer games may increase aggressiveness + ARE + of more concern. a. I believe that most books would explain it this way: i. "of more concern" is a prepositional phrase that is acting as a subjective complement. That is, "of more concern" refers to the subject "findings." ("The findings + are + of more concern.") ***** Here are some examples from one of my books: a. My watch is of solid gold. ("Of solid gold" refers to "(my) watch.") b. He thinks this book to be of great value. ("Of great value" refers to "(this) book.")
I'm familiar with that already. You are just joking around. →_→
"of" is used when you say something belongs to something (lol).
JasmineChen