Wu Ting
How would you explain ‘hanging-laundry neighborhoods’ in the context The boy called Pencil in the next bed will talk if no one else is around. The Greek boy named Damos says, “Hey Mexico, comeer,” but he also says, “Hey Brush Ape.” Bull’s Eye told them to watch out, the kid (the writer) from Mexico is ace at firearms, maybe he used to ride with Pancho Villa. Now they use that name: Pancho Villa. It took a while to recognize it because they pronounce it something like Pants Ville: Hey, Pantsville, comeer! It sounds like a location, one of the hanging-laundry neighborhoods you see from the train to Huichapan. How would you explain ‘hanging-laundry neighborhoods’ in the second passage? Thanks!
Mar 10, 2014 12:17 PM
3
0
In China hanging laundry outside is allowed by law but forbidden by pollution:)
We are prohibited from hanging laundry outside to dry in my community that is about thirty km west of Washington DC. Your novel is set in a time that I thought predated such restrictions. I personally enjoy the smell and feel of clothes that were dried outside.
Neighborhoods in which the residents often hang their laundry outside to dry, probably on clotheslines. The implication might be that they're lower-income families, but I'm not sure what time period this takes place in, so it might not suggest that.
Wu Ting