emar
can we say a journey is heavy? If not what other adjectives?
Mar 10, 2014 9:31 PM
Hola! I see you're Spanish and it's true that you say something can be "pesado". In English we don't use "pesado" in the same way. We use more specific adjectives for this, e.g. boring, long, tiring... The journey was really long / boring / tiring For something more generic and more colloquial (like the word "pesado") you can say in UK English: "a pain"/"a pain in the neck"/"nightmare" - The journey was a pain in the neck! / The journey was a nightmare! - Why? - Because we got delayed for 5 hours at the airport and then when we got to the car, we saw we had run out of petrol "heavy" solo se usa para objetos que pesan mucho. Espero que te sirva :)
The other answers are correct but we often use the term - 'it was heavy going' eg the trip was really heavy going (ie hard work, pain in the bum etc) because of bad weather, delays or whatever. So you can use 'heavy' in this way.
Hello emarbe: I would not use the descriptive, "heavy". I propose that you word it this way. "The journey is tiresome." or "The journey is tiring and tedious."
emar