Wu Ting
How would you explain this sentence? Notes on how to speak in America: 1. Do not say “Pardon me.” People in books say it constantly. Here, they ask who sent you to prison. 2. Shouting “Go fry asparagus!” won’t make them leave you alone, as it would in Spanish. 3. “Beat it” means Go fry asparagus. 4. “Punk” means fluter. Also: chump, ratso, and “sure it ain’t the YMCA.” 5. “Mexico” is not a country, but a name. Hey Mexico, comeer. How would you explain this sentence: they ask who sent you to prison? Thanks!
Mar 11, 2014 2:34 AM
The whole passage is trying to be humorous, and occasionally 'goes a bit too far' in trying to be funny. One of the meanings of 'pardon' is to have a conviction quashed - usually by a higher court, or the government. So - if you say 'pardon me' - it _could_ be interpreted as meaning "I'm in prison, and could you please get me pardoned", which is the implied meaning of the writer.
That is a good question. I do not know. I can only guess that the author is in prison. It is not a normal thing that would be said by someone who is not in prison.
thanks~
Pardon is not used only for people in prison. The word Pardon is an act of waiving a certain punishment for example when a child offends his or her parents, It is right when the parents say " We pardon you this time, so there would be no punishment for you ".
Wu Ting