Robin
which one is correct? 1. he didn't tell me where his office was. 2. he didn't tell me where his office is. 3. how much will you get depends on how much you've devoted, 4. how much will you get depends on how much you've devoted to 5. how much will you get depends how much you've devoted. Thank you!
Mar 11, 2014 4:28 AM
1 and 2 are the same really and both are ok. Maybe if I were going to visit his office I would use "is", whereas if I'm talking about someone I'll never see again I would use "was". It is similar to "She told me her name was Jane". You usually say it this way even though her name is still Jane. Shan gave you the correct answer for the second part.
I prefer to use "He didn't tell me where his office is." To use "was" implies that the office was no longer there or it implies where the office was located back then. For the next sentences, I think it would be better to use the words "The amount you will get" instead of "how much will you get". So i think "The amount you will get depends on how much you've devoted."
okay Thank you Philips!
Both 1 and 2 are correct depending on the time of the conversation. When you use "WAS", it doesn't necessary mean the office does not exist anymore but it explains that you had that conversation with him earlier before you were asked the present question which you responded to. Using "Is" can be used more often if he is still present. More so both are right and you have to study both the American and British dictionaries because there is differences in words.
Robin
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese
English, French, Japanese