Robin
duplicty? do I say duplicity correctly in both situations below. 1. A girl who has a big crush on a boy but she is shy enough to express her emotions. Everytime when she talks with her friends, she always says that the boy is annoying, actuallly she doesn't think so(she has a big crush on him)----can I say at this time "your duplicity"?if not, do you have a better word? 2. A man who pretends to be nice to people seemingly but secretly talks negatively about those who he treats nicely.---is it duplicity? Thank you!
Mar 11, 2014 4:36 AM
Duplicity is being deceitful, lying in a negative way. It is a noun. Duplicitous is the adjective. In your first example the girl is lying because she is shy or embarrassed and her friends probably know or can guess the truth. It isn't duplicity. Can't think of one word to describe it. Your second example is more like duplicity although I think we would call the man "two-faced"
Robin
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese
English, French, Japanese