administrative--clerk Most offices have secretaries who do "administrative work????? , is this right ? Is this type of work called anything else? Howeve if you work for a bank you cannot be called secretary, is the word " clerk" right for this work ? What other names do you have for people who deal with documents in Health service, councils and so on? Thankyou
Mar 14, 2014 12:03 PM
Answers · 2
"Secretary" is not used to refer to office workers any more, at least in the United States. It used to mean someone who handled correspondence for a specific person, but now people have computers to handle much of the work that secretaries used to do. That job is different now, and is called "Administrative Assistant". It consists of many different functions that focus on making sure the boss stays on track. "Clerk" is a general term referring to a specialized role handling documentation of a certain kind. For example, a bank clerk might file and retrieve financial transactions, while a medical records clerk would file and retrieve patient charts.
March 14, 2014
Clerical officer, bank officer - clerk could be used as well as officer
March 17, 2014
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, Spanish
Learning Language