Allen Yu
A stupid question Which tense should I use? This is the scene: Phone ringing.... lisa called lily lisa: hi, lily, I and kevin will have a party in the next Wednesday. Do you want to join? lily: I am sorry, I have to attend a class in the next week. several minutes , lisa called lohn: lisa: Hello, John john: what? lisa: lily called me several minutes ago. She told me that she and kevin would have a party in the next Wednesday. She asked me if I wanted to join. John:Do you want to join? ....... Let me see the sentence : She told me that she and kevin would have a party in the next Wednesday If lisa said: She told me that she an kevin will have a party in the next wednesday. Is it right?
Mar 17, 2014 2:02 PM
I believe so. You can say "she will have a party next Wednesday", so if you just add "and Kevin" then it's "She and Kevin will have a party next Wednesday". "She told me (that) she and Kevin will have a party next Wednesday."
Hi, Allen Yu, I think I understand your question. I think you're trying to change the sentence: "We will have a party in the next wednesday" (direct speech) into indirect speech. The general rule reads that future tense turns into conditional when changing from direct to indirect speech, so: "They told me they would have a party next wednesday". But, in this case, the party HAS NOT YET TAKEN PLACE, so the future tense would be also acceptable: "They told me they WILL have a party next wednesday". If the event had already taken place, then you should use conditional to express it in indirect speech. For example: Direct speech: "She told me (one month ago): -"we will go to the cinema this weekend". Indirect speech: She told me (one month ago) they WOULD go to the cinema that weekend". In this case, the use of future tense in the indirect speech is not possible. Hope I could help you.
Allen Yu
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese